Monday 8 July 2013

Review of The State We're In by Adele Parks


I can’t believe that this is the first Adele Parks book that I have read, it is beautifully written and I will definitely be looking out for more books by this author.

Thirty five year old Jo is a true romantic and optimist; she believes in fate, happy endings and dreams of finding ‘the one’. When she meets Dean Taylor on a plane to Chicago, Jo instantly feels a strong sense of chemistry between the two of them. However, Jo is on a mission and doesn’t feel that anything could happen between them. At the same time, Dean doesn’t want to accept any feeling for Jo and finds it difficult to trust people after a tragic childhood. However, when he begins telling Jo all about his family and upbringing, he realises that there must be a special connection between them for these are aspects of his life that he has never discussed with anyone apart from his sister.

The narrative flicks between four main characters – Jo, Dean, Clara and Eddie. I loved this aspect of the book, as it allows the reader to get to know each character and look behind the scenes at their lives. It is a story which focuses on family, friendship, love and hope.

 This is an amazing novel that will have you laughing, crying and hoping that Jo gets her fairytale dreams to come true. It is full of surprises and really kept me on my toes. I’ve kept this review quite short as I don’t want to give any of the storyline away, but I urge you to read it. I loved it and highly recommend this wonderful book.

5 stars

Thank you to Headline for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment