Sunday 26 August 2012

Review of Ten Years On by Alice Peterson

I have heard a lot of good things about Alice Peterson’s writing, so I was very keen to read her latest novel ‘Ten Years On’ and it did not disappoint.

The novel follows the story of Joe and Rebecca, two friends who lost contact after meeting at university in Bristol. Rebecca moves home to her parents' house in Winchester after suffering a terrible tragedy. She finds it hard to adjust to life away from London, but her biggest surprise is that Joe, who she hasn’t seen for ten years, owns a popular wine bar in the city centre.

I loved Rebecca’s character, she is very down to earth and seems easy to get on with. At first, I wasn’t sure about Joe as he seemed a little arrogant, but my opinion did change as the book progressed. The story follows the lives of Joe and Rebecca as they begin to get to know one another again. It is quite a fast paced plot that kept my attention from the very beginning. One of my favourite characters was Janet, Becca’s elderly neighbour who lived with her dog. It was also interesting to see how Becca’s relationship with her family changes over the course of the novel.

Ten Years On is a tear jerking, addictive and well researched novel. I found that I did not want to put it down and finished it in two evenings. I will be on the look out for more from Alice Peterson.

No comments:

Post a Comment