Friday 12 April 2013

Review of Dear Thing by Julie Cohen


Claire and Ben seem like a perfect couple, they have successful careers and a beautiful house. However, the one thing that seems to evade them is a longed for baby. They have been trying for years and as Claire suffers another miscarriage it seems to pull the couple even further apart. That’s where Ben’s best friend Romily steps in, after a few too many drinks she tells Ben that she is willing, and would like, to act as a surrogate for the couple.

 Romily has a seven year old daughter called Posie and she is sure that she will feel no emotional attachment to the baby, she has no desire to have any more children. However, things don’t go quite to plan when her feelings for Ben, that she has kept hidden for so long, threaten to push up to the surface. With one father and two mother’s, who does the baby really belong to?

 I instantly got the feeling that Claire and Romily were a bit wary of each and probably wouldn’t be friends without Ben. My favourite character was Posie, Romily’s seven year old daughter. She brings an aspect of humour to what could be a very sad story. One of the best parts of the novel for me was the inclusion of the letters to the baby, which are all addressed ‘Dear Thing’. It is a lovely touch .

 This is the first book that I have read by Julie Cohen and I loved it.  I read it over two evenings as I was desperate to know what would happen, but at the same time I didn’t want the story to end. It is beautifully written with very well crafted characters. It is a truly wonderful novel that is gripping, uplifting and heart breaking at times. I highly recommend it.

 5 stars

 Thank you to Transworld for sending me a copy to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment