Monday 12 December 2011

Review of Breakfast at Darcy's by Ali McNamara

Last year I read Ali McNamara's debut novel 'From Notting Hill with Love Actually' and it really stood out as one of my favourite books of the year, especially with the spectacular ending.

I was very excited to receive a copy of McNamara's second novel; Breakfast at Darcy's, which is set on the fictional island of Glentara, affectionately known as Tara by the local residents and based on the real life Great Blasket Island.

The opening chapter begins at the funeral of Darcy's aunt Molly, who has died in Ireland. When a solicitor pulls Darcy aside and tells her that he needs to discuss the will, Darcy imagines that she may have inherited a few trinkets and perhaps a bit of money. However, a small Island off the Irish coast is not quite what she had in mind. Furthermore, in order to actually inherit anything Darcy must find a community of people including herself and live on the island for a whole year.

Breakfast at Darcy's is a fantastic read which had me laughing out loud in places. I loved the way that McNamara managed to weave in stories of myths and legends based around the island.

The characters who accompany Darcy to Tara really make the novel and there are some real twists and surprises along the way. The plot is fast paced and kept me wanting to read more. I also felt that compared to lots of other fiction on the market at the moment this is a unique storyline that stands out.

This is such a great book and I liked it even more than her first novel. Definitely something to put on your Christmas list this year!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - this sounds like the perfect escapist read, doesn't it? I've also seen some of the 'breakfast' promotion for this book. It's caught both my imgination and curiosity - so over to Amazon I go - thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one at the moment and loving it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got this one to read, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete