Wednesday 23 January 2013

Review of The First Last Kiss by Ali Harris

Miracle on Regent Street was one of my favourite books of 2011, so I was really looking forward to reading Harris’ second novel ‘The First Last Kiss’.

This is the story of Molly and Ryan’s relationship, beginning in their teenage years and flitting back and forward as they grow older. I loved the structure of the book, which is set between 1994 and present day and moves backwards and forwards between the different time periods. Each chapter also begins with a different kiss scene, such as the domestic bliss kiss and the grown up kiss.

The characters are so well formed that I felt like I knew them and I think that is what makes it such an emotional read. My favourite characters were Molly and Ryan's mum Jackie, they're are very different but so likeable in their own way.

This is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful books that I have ever read. It is a novel that will have you laughing and crying with the characters as you share their experiences and journeys. I was so absorbed in this book and I didn't want to put it down.

Have your tissues ready, as there are some heart wrenching moments.

Thank you to Simon and Schuster for sending me a copy to review.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I would love to read this one. Opens with a different kiss. Would make a good read for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete