Sunday 9 October 2011

Review of Nothing but Trouble by Rachel Gibson

Nothing but Trouble is Rachel Gibson’s fourteenth novel. It is based around Mark Bressler; ex-Captain of the Chinooks hockey team who is recovering from an horrific car accident, and twin Chelsea Ross; an out of work actress who takes on the tough role of carer/assistant to Mark with the promise of a 10,000 dollar bonus…if she can stick with the job for three months.

Mark is depressed after his accident and has already scared of a number of carers who have been sent to his aid, so he imagines that it won’t take much to send Chelsea on her way too. However, he soon finds that he has met his match and Chelsea is prepared to stay and earn her bonus whatever it takes. Nothing but Trouble is a fun read; I actually really enjoyed reading about Mark and Chelsea and seeing the way that their characters got to know each other.

This is the first book by Rachel Gibson that I have read and I really enjoyed it. The plot was light and easy to read with the story mainly focusing on Chelsea and Mark and not many sub plots to distract the reader elsewhere. That said, I thought it worked very well and I became totally engrossed in finding out what would happen between them. However, I did get a bit lost at points with some of the ice hockey explanations as I don’t know very much about this sport.

Overall, I found the book to be predictable, but also quite addictive – I really needed to find out what happened in the end. It was a good read and I will look out for future releases from this author. Nothing but Trouble is part of the ‘Chinooks’ series of books and I found that they do not need to be read in sequence.

I read this as part of the Transworld Reading Challenge

2 comments:

  1. This is coming up in my to-read pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished reading this book on my Kindle last night. Fast reading. It takes a "down to earth" girl to bring someone like Mark back to reality. I am a hockey fan, thus it was more enjoyable even though it is fiction. Rachel did a great job with this book. Enjoyable. Looking forward to her next book.

    ReplyDelete